Research Group : Autonomic Systems and eBusiness Platforms
The team performs high-level research in today’s eBusiness applications that have to deal with critical IT challenges in areas such as Big Data, Cloud Computing, Business Analytics, High Performance Computing and Sustainable Computing.
The aim of this team is to conduct research on autonomic and intelligent resource management policies based on Self-Management strategies as the way to improve the adaptability, efficiency and productivity of current middleware layers. In these research fields the team produces top research publications as well as software components and resource management policies that can be applied at middleware level.
The group targets execution platforms composed of high-productivity hybrid multi-core systems and advanced storage architectures deployed in large-scale distributed environments.
The research agenda of the group for our near future contains 3 main research lines:
- Accelerating the processing of big data workloads, including large analytics as well as stream processing, in heterogeneous execution frameworks.
- Designing resource management strategies for Big Data applications, defining policies that enables distributed data stores to meet high level performance goals, designing a non-centralized highly scalable data store management architecture, and defining interfaces with in-memory databases.
- Developing management algorithms for virtualised Data Centres in a large-scale distributed ecosystem running heterogeneous workloads that optimize their operation with respect to energy and ecological efficiency.
The group at BSC-CNS was created in 2005 based on the previous experience of the Barcelona eDragon Research Group, that was created together with Professor Eduard Aygudé and myself as part of the High Performance Computing group in the Computer Architecture Department at UPC in 1999. The group started to work in the Java arena under the CEPBA (European Center for Parallelism of Barcelona) and developped the Barcelona Java Suite (BJS). BJS was a platform to do research on scheduling mechanisms and policies oriented towards the efficient execution of multithreaded Java applications on parallel platforms, in which the interactions and coordination between mechanisms and policies at different levels (application, compiler, threads library and kernel) was studied. Later, with the creation of the CIRI (CEPBA-IBM Research Institute) the group started to work with web based applications conducting fundamental research in the area of performance of eBusiness applications and complex systems in execution on powerful platforms.
More detail can be found in our group web page at BSC.
Reseach team (updated 07/2013) :
- AYGUADÉ, EDUARD – COMPUTER SCIENCE ASSOCIATED DIRECTOR
- BECERRA, YOLANDA – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- CARRERA PEREZ, DAVID – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- CUGNASCO, CESARE – RESEARCH SUPPORT ENGINEER
- GUITART FERNANDEZ, JORDI – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- HERNANDEZ, ROGER – JUNIOR ENGINEER
- MACIAS LLORET, MARIO – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- MENDOZA, SERGIO – RESEARCH SUPPORT ENGINEER
- NIN, JORDI – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- PEREZ, JUAN LUIS – JUNIOR RESEARCHER
- POGGI, NICOLAS – ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- POLO, JORDA – RESIDENT STUDENT
- SUBIRATS, JOSEP – RESEARCH SUPPORT ENGINEER
- TORRES VINALS, JORDI – AUTONOMIC SYSTEM AND E-BUSINESS PLATFORMS GROUP MANAGER
- VILLALBA NAVARRO, ALVARO – JUNIOR DEVELOPER RESEARCHER
Past Contributors in our research (thank you to all of them):
- Javier Alonso (Graduate Student / PhDStudent /BSC Researcher)
- Vicenç Beltran (Graduate Student / PhDStudent /BSC Researcher)
- Ricardo Bianchini (visitor, Rutgers University – USA)
- Iñigo Goiri (Graduate Student / PhDStudent /BSC Researcher)
- Cristian González (Graduate Student)
- Josep Oriol Fitó (BSC researcher)
- Gemma Reig (BSC researcher)
- Zeus Gomez (Graduate Student)
- Ferran Julià (Graduate Student / BSC Researcher)
- Valèria Quadros (visitor, PhDStudent)
- Josep Ll Berral (Graduate Student / PhDStudent)
- Àlex Vaqué (BSC Researcher)
- Ramon Nou (Graduate Student / PhDStudent)
- Jordi Caubet (Researcher IBM Staff)
- Kevin Hogan (Researcher, BSC Staff)
- Toni Moreno (BSC staff, and PhD Student)
- Liangxiao Zhu Wang (Undergraduate Student)
- Joan Garcia (Undergraduate Student)
- Guillem Frances (Undergraduate Student)
- Lídia Montero (Associate Professor, Dept. EIO, UPC)
- David Garcia (Graduate Student)
- Jordi Palau (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- José Oliver (Graduate Project Assistant, UPC)
- Xavier Martorell (Associated Professor, CEPBA-UPC)
- J. Mark Bull (Edinburgh Parallel Computing Center – EPCC)
- Javier Bartolomé (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Juan Antonio Pérez (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Marc Lopez (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Joan Delgado (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Ignasi Mieza (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Manuel López (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
- Xavier Aguilar (Undergraduated Project Assistant, UPC)
(ICAC poster , 2006)