Current research projects:
- Severo Ochoa: During 2011 BSC-CNS was recognised as an inaugural Severo Ochoa centre. A new initiative launched in 2011 by the Spanish Ministry for Science and Innovation, the award recognises Spanish centres of international excellence with a track record of cutting edge science as well as an ambitious current project of frontier research. Under this project BSC-CNS proposes a bold multidisciplinary research program to address the complex challenges in the path towards Exascale, co-developing energy efficient and high performance hardware and software platforms with applications in personalised medicine, modelling of human organs, and global models for climate change and air quality prediction. The program will leverage existing national and international collaborations, consolidating BSC-CNS as a world leader in the field. Our group will work in the Big Data area.
- COMPOSE: Collaborative Open Market to Place Objects at your Service. Nov. 2012 – Oct. 2015. European project FP7-ICT-2011-8. The COMPOSE project aims at enabling new services that can seamlessly integrate real and virtual worlds through the convergence of the Internet of Services with the Internet of Things. COMPOSE will achieve this through the provisioning of an open and scalable marketplace infrastructure, in which smart objects are associated to services that can be combined, managed, and integrated in a standardised way to easily and quickly build innovative applications. The COMPOSE consortium comprises twelve partners, including leading ICT companies, recognised academic and research excellence centres, a standardization body, as well as pioneering SMEs in Internet of Things-based innovative services.
- NUBA project (Normalized Usage of Business-oriented Architectures) (2009-2012). NUBA is a strategic research program (MITyC TSI-020301-2009-30) funded by the Avanza2 R&D Plan of the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade and coordinated by Telefonica I+D with 8 partners. The aim of NUBA is to advance the state-of-the-art in business models and technology for the real-time deployment of federated Cloud platforms, integrating infrastructure from different providers, to execute elastic business services with the required QoS and minimizing the energy consumption. http://nuba.morfeo-project.org.
- OPTIMIS project “Optimized Infrastructure Services” (2010-2012). European Union funded project. The project focuses on open, scalable and dependable service platforms and architectures that allow flexible and dynamic provision of advanced services with the goal of satisfying key societal and economical needs. The OPTIMIS innovations can be summarized as a combination of technologies to create a dependable ecosystem of providers and consumers that will be the foundation of an efficacious operation of services and infrastructures. OPTIMIS provides a revolutionizing foundation for a reliable,auditable, sustainable, and trustful cloud market for a smart planet.
- VENUS-C: (2010-2012). European Union funded project. The project will develop and deploy a Cloud Computing service for research and industry communities in Europe by offering an industrial-quality service-oriented platform based on virtualisation technologies.
- IBM project “Performance Management of Data-Analytic Programming Models in Cloud Environments” (2010-2011). The project will focus on the expansion of large scale data analytics and management challenges posed by the mix of heterogeneous applications in the scope of hybrid data centers.
- BG/ASF joint research project (BSC – IBM) with the Scalable Data-centric Computing department at IBM TJ Watson research lab (Yorktown, NY). Active Storage Fabrics (ASF) is a collection of components that surround a parallel in-memory database (PIMD). PIMD is a parallel client, parallel server, key/value object store. This research is part of the MareIncognito research framework between IBM and BSC.
Past and Current National Research Grants:
- “Explotación del Paralelismo en Arquitecturas de Alta Velocidad”(CICYT) TIC-299/89. (1990 – 1992).
- “Arquitectura y Compilación para Supercomputadores”(CICYT) TIC-0880/92 (1992 -1995).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones” (CICYT) TIC-95-429 (1995-1998).
- “Acción Integrada Hispano-Britanica 1995-1996: Distribución Automática de Datos para Computadores de Altas Prestaciones”. 163 B.
- Computación de Altas Prestaciones II” (CICYT) TIC-98-511 (1998-2001).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones III” (CICYT) TIC2001-0995. (2001-2004).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT GRQ95-00402 (1995-1997).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT 1997 SGR-00005 (1997-1999).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT 1999 SGR-00128(1999-2001).
- “CAP-BASIC”.PROFIT- FIT-070000-2001-190. with IBM (2001-2003).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones IV: Arquitecturas, Compiladores, Sistemas Operativos, Herramientas y Aplicaciones” TIN2004-07739-C02-01 (2005-2007).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones V:” con el contrato TIN2007-60625 (2007- 2012).
Past projects with industry and EU (Research and Technology Transfer): From the position at BSC he managed projects from the 6th Framework EU Program and research projects with IBM:
- SORMA Project: Self-Organizing ICT Resource Management STREP Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 Call with contract 034286. European Partners: Cardiff University, Correlation Systems, Hebrew University, Research Center at the BFM Bayreuth, Research Center for Information Technologies, Sun Microsystems, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, TXT e-Solutions, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, University of Reading, University of New South Wales, Barcelona Supercomputing Center. (2006-2009)
- LAgrid network: Adaptive Systems for heterogeneous containers and workloads. an international multi-disciplinary research community and virtual computing grid enabling institutions and industry to extend beyond their individual reach to facilitate collaborative IT research, education and workforce development. (2006-2009).
- SOW ADAPTSYS: Adaptive Systems with IBM (T.J. Watson Labs, NY) (2006-2008). In this project we are introducing adaptability techniques into application servers hosted in shared data centers ( Up to tens of thousands nodes with applications sharing nodes) that are managing hetero heterogeneous environment workloads and containers (2006-2009).
- BREIN project: Business objective driven REliable and Intelligent Grids for real BusiNess. Integrated Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 IP. Our grup participate in the adaptive resorce management part. European partners: Telefónica Investigación y Desarrollo, Höchstleistungsrechenzentrum der Universität Stuttgart HLRS, University of Manchester, ADEI Consultoria S.L., Flughafen Stuttgart GmbH ,ANSYS ,BOC Asset Management ,Barcelona Supercomputing Center , Centro di Ricerca in Matematica Pura ed Applicata, DATAMAT S.p.A., IT Innovation Centre, Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center, University of Hohenheim. (2006-2009).
- XtreemOS project: Building and Promoting a Linux-based Operating System to Support Virtual Organizations for Next Generation Grids. Integrated Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 IP. Our group is in charge of the porting the eBusiness applications. European partners: Caisse des Dépôts et Consignation, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, Electricité de France, Edge-IT, NEC High Performance Computing, Europe GmbH, SAP, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Universität Ulm, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, XLAB, Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin, T6 Italy, Institute of Computing Technology of Chinese, Academy of Sciences, Red Flag Software, Telefónica I+D, Heinrich-Heine Universität Düsseldorf . (2006-2010).
- Network of excellence CoreGrid: European Research Network on Foundations, Software Infrastructures and Applications for large scale distributed, GRID and Peer-to-Peer Technologies. Network of Excellence” (NoE) del 6th Framework Program. Our group only works in the area of Autonomic Computing. 42 EU partners involved. (2005-2009).
Old projects with industry and EU (Research and Technology Transfer):
- “Automatic Data Distribution for the CONVEX MPP”. Convex Computer Corporation (1993-1995).
- “AIXtrace to Paraver Translator” with Laurence Livermore National Lab. (2003-2004)
- “Performance-Critical Applications of Parallel Architectures”. Esprit BRA 6634 (1992 -1995).
- “PERMPAR” .UPC, CESCA, INTES, IRCN, Bureau Veritas. ESPRIT (1994-1995).
- “PARMAT” Efficient Handling of Large Matrices on High Parallel Computer Systems in the PERMAS Code ESPRIT. Partners: INTES Ingenieurgesellschaft für Technische Software mbH (GE), CEPBA-UPC (ES), Institut de Recherches de la Construction Navale (FR), Bureau Veritas (FR), Structural Engineering (Norway), Dinalis (FR). (1997-1998).
Promotion and Dissemination projects: During 1990-2004 I also participated in projects doing promotion and dissemination.
Main Technology transfer projects in which I participated are:
- “PCI -PACOS: Parallel Computing Initiative for Spain” EU ESPRIT PROJECT (1994-1996).
- “PCI-II: Parallel Computing Initiative – II” ESPRIT (1996-1998).
- “CEPBA TTN” ESPRIT (1997 – 1999).
- “TTN-SAC, Spanish Awareness Campaign” ESPRIT (1997).
An important part of my previous activity were centered in the area of promocion and dissemination of technology
- In 1990 the CEPBA was created. For many years I was in charge of managing the CEPBA promotion and diffusion of the research. Examples of some of the main activities involved are organizing the booths at the annual Supercomupting conference (from 1999 to 2004) or providing the technical material required for the diffusion of the R&D projects in the center (written, web, television). (CEPBA web)
Management of mobility programs for European Scientist:
- “Human Capital Mobility: Access to supercomputing facilities for European researchers”. European Commission. (1993-1997).
- “Training and Mobility of Researchers: Access of European Researchers to the Supercomputer Facilities of CESCA-CEPBA”. (1994-1998).